Sunday, March 18, 2007

Reflective Essay─ American idol






American Idol is an American singing competition that began its first series in June 2002. Part of the popular Idol series, American idol originated from the UK show, Pop Idol, a singing contest to determine the best singer in the UK. American Idol has become arguably the most highly publicized music competition in the country. The first season winner was Kelly Clarkson.









I have only recently started to watch American Idol. This year is American Idol’s sixth season, and it began on Tuesday, January 16, 2007. The premiere episode of the season drew a massive audience of 37.7 million viewers, peaking in the last half hour with more than 41 million viewers. The format features three celebrity judges who critique the performance of the contestants in order to facilitate the public voting. I was confusing how the spectator to vote their favorite singers does. The judges critique the performance, and then the spectator can vote their favorite singers by using cell phone or internet. The singer who has more voting she/ he will win this competition. I think it is so fair because the public voting do not include personal prejudice. In order to succeed American Idol competition they will need to overcome their prejudices. I think that is why American is so successful in America. The judges currently are: record producer and legendary bass player Randy Jackson, former pop star Paula Abdul, and producer and manager Simon Cowell. Ryan Seacrest is a host of American Idol, and has gained prominence as the host of the reality-television talent-search series American Idol.

This is my first time watching American Idol TV show; and it is making me strong impression, which is still in my mind. American Idol headed into the next and most exciting phase Monday night, March 5, 2007 as the Top 12 finalists were revealed! They were Melinda Doolittle, Stephanie Edwards, Gina Glocksen, LaKisha Jones, Blake Lewis, Sanjaya Malakar, Chris Richardson, Brandon Rogers, Haley Scarnato, Chris Sligh, Jordin Sparks, and Phil Stacey. The American Idol is singing competition gives these contestants a very good opportunity to become celebrities; they want super start celebrity status. The twelve performers have twelve different kinds of singing styles they’ve made the most common songs sound powerful and pleasant. The performers really entertain audiences with their singing. Every singer tried to do their best on this show, and they practice their singing skills after every show; also they went to their teacher’s house to get some suggestions about what kinds of songs would be better for them to sing. In American Idol competition I notice the competition is cruel and realistic, and I can’t change this game’s regulations. Every performer has to comply with these regulations, which is survival of the fittest. I think the rules are strict but fair, because everyone has a chance to win. I think it is the same as my study; I will fail if I don’t work hard. Maybe I will success if I work hard. I will quote a proverb that is Failure is the mother of success.

Chris Richardson, who looks just like Justin Timberlake and gives me a very strong impression. I liked his singing style, and he sang songs with his heart. He did a very good at following music and his actions were also perfect. He had brilliant performance on Monday that was why he could enter the top 12. He is endowed with a gift in music by nature, but his success comes through practice and under his parents’ support. I think I can compare the contestant’s lifts with my life. Richardson’s care gives me a lot of inspirations; Success lies not so much as in luck as in hard work. I think he worked hard because he wanted to success, and I try to study all night long now to make my grade better. Many people ascribe their success to good luck. I think Success lies not so much as in luck as in hard work. It is the door to success in our study.

The American Idol judge, Simon Cowell is notorious for his unsparingly blunt and often controversial criticism of the contestants. He is so mean to the contestants, that his criticism is a bitterness of speech. I think that will hurt some contestants and give them big pressure, which will make them lack in confidence. I think Cowell needs to give more encouraging words to the contestants, which can help them to face their life positively because they to make themselves better instead of sadder. Maybe sometimes I agree with his thoughts, and it can stimulate a contestant through anger to the fineness of his/her singing. But, in contrast, Judge Randy and Paula were so nice to the contestants. They gave a lot of encouragement to contestants; therefore the performers had a very good performance with a good mood. I think praise always stimulates them to make greater efforts because the singer will sing hard in the competition. The emcee of American Idol show Ryan Seacrest was a very funny and smart guy. He made the show more interesting and visual. His amusing performance caused a roar of laughter in the spectators. He worked in conjugation with contestants and made jokes with them. For example, a singer (Kim) took off his shoes to sing the song, and then Seacrest also took off his shoes to interview him. Seacrest praised his singing style as fresh and new. It can remove all their anxieties and nervousness.

I liked American Idol show because it was so fun and interesting. Every singer had to pass quarter-final to enter final; the spectators were so nervous and worried about their favorite singers’ result. I compared American Idol show with the Chinese Idol show, and I found difference and similarities between two shows. The differences in the Chinese idol show is performers are Chinese but they come from different countries; the judges of Chinese Idol show number more than American Idol; the song choices are not only Chinese, they have the other country’s song; the emcee of Chinese Idol was less fun and interesting. The similarities that there were a lot of people joining the show, and a lot of the spectators watched the show. I think the different culture makes the Chinese Idol show different from the American Idol show. Chinese Idol is more conservative than American Idol; I mean the Chinese Idol just a race and less interesting, and I couldn’t see any new element in the show. Also I couldn’t see an emcee or a judge play with performers and make something fun with them. I think the American Idol competition is fairer than the Chinese Idol, because the American Idol winner is voted by the public and the Chinese Idol winner is voted by the judges.

American Idol gives me a lot of fun, and I could see much competition. It gives me enlightenment that if you don’t want to be eliminated, you have to work hard.

No comments: